Chloe Loftus Dance has been commissioned by Articulture and the Wales Outdoor Arts Commissioning Consortium to create a new work, Act of Strangers.
In a world where communication is so often made via screens and communities gather online rather in person, Act of Strangers is an outdoor dance theatre performance that reminds us of the simplicity and warmth of human contact.
A bench is placed in situ for the day of the performance(s). Throughout the day people would be free to sit on this bench to watch the world go by, talk with friends or perhaps have kind encounters with strangers. At the performance time, two ‘strangers’ arrive at the bench and a beautiful duet unfolds. From recognisably awkward acknowledgements, the pair begin to ‘talk’ through body language and movement. Through comical exchanges, playfulness and daring contact work, the touching story of this friendship unfolds, showing the wonderful potential of the stranger standing next to you.
“Extraordinary movement and beautifully choreographed” (audience member, GDIF 2016)
2016 tour dates:
- Pontio, Bangor – 25 June, 12pm, 2:30pm & 3:30pm
- Greenwich & Docklands International Festival, Cubitt Steps, Canary Wharf, London – 2 July, 3pm & 4:15pm
- Taliesin Arts Centre, Dance Days, Swansea – 10 July, 12:45pm, 1:45pm & 3:50pm
- The Riverfront, Big Splash Festival, Newport – 16 July, 3:45pm & 5:45pm & 17 July, 1:05pm & 4:15pm
- National Eisteddfod, Abergavenny – 3 August, 12pm, 2pm & 4:30pm.
- Wales Millennium Centre, 27 August, 2pm & 4:30pm
- Festival No.6, Portmeirion – 3-4 September
- LLAWN 04 Festival, Llandudno- 24-25 September
This work is currently touring so if you would like to book Act of Strangers for your festival/event, please contact Chloe.